Sunday, July 12, 2009

*Some Names have been Changed

Salynne's husband David* handed her the sheet of paper and gave her a tight lipped smile. The letter had an unfamiliar doctors letterhead on it and the words on the page did not portend good things. The first paragraph described how Allen*, Salynne's father-in-law, was having memory issues and that a brain scan showed degeneration. Alzheimer's was no longer a guess but a reality. Marina*, his wife, after a myriad of tests and an EKG, showed signs of stress and a weakened heart muscle. The conclusion summed everything up by saying that these two elderly people were definitely needing assistance and support and would continue to do so.

Her hands shaking slightly, Salynne sat down on the chair in her dining room and placed the paper on the table. "So, I guess its final then". She flashed a glance at the expectant look on her sixteen year old daughter, Eliza's* face.

"Yes, is looks like it." said David. "The company and the union have agreed to give me a compassionate move in light of everything that we're going to be facing. We should be in Kamloops by September 1st and Eliza should be able to start Grade 11 in her new school. This isn't exactly the way I thought we would get back to my home town though. Somehow I'd always imagined that we would move there only when we retired. "

"I know what you mean, but we have been wanting to go back there for over twenty years. It's true its not the way we thought it would be but we've got friends there and it will be so much easier to care for your parents."

"Yes, but how are you feeling about giving up your job here?"

"We've talked about that before and I am really ready to move on." Salynne reflected for a moment on their oldest daughter who had died over ten years earlier and how her experiences as the mother of child who'd used the hospital system had prepared her for her current position. "Working at the hospital has kept me connected to Raven* on certain levels but I feel I'm at a point in my life where I'm wanting to grow and change. Sometimes I've felt that my work has drained me so much emotionally that I don't have anything left to give to either you or Eliza."

Eliza spoke up, "It hasn't been that bad Mom, but I think a change would be good for us all. I'm looking forward to spending some time with my friends there and I'm kind of excited about making some new friends. There are things I'm unsure about but on the whole I think moving will be a good thing."

"Too true. With selling our house here we'll be able to buy something that can meet our needs in Kamloops and it may be that with the reduction in our mortgage I may not have to work at all!" said Salynne with a twinkle in her eye. "Can you imagine me as a lady of leisure?"

"Somehow I don't think that will happen" laughed David. "You have too many dreams and too much energy to just sit on your butt all of the time. Somehow I can't see you being on the next installment of "The Real Housewives of Kamloops".

"Hey mom, that would be really funny. Can't you just see a camera man following you around as you go to your weight watchers meetings or shopping at Value Village? It could be a whole new reality show!"

"Ok, you two, enough. I think you're right though, sitting around and doing nothing isn't my style. A change is in order. Maybe I'll work in a bookstore or spend some more time writing and getting published. I kind of feel like the whole world is opening up before us and our choices are endless. Who knows what lies ahead."

"Well, I know what's coming for the next month, that's for sure". David put one hand down and leaned on the kitchen counter; with his other he rubbed his temples. "I've got to finish off whatever renovating we've started on this house and get it ready for sale. By this time next month, let's say August 15th, we'd better be seeing a "For Sale" sign out on the boulevard. At the same time we'll have to travel up to Kamloops and start looking for a house".

"I want a bedroom with a window seat and I'm putting in my order in for a pool. It would be totally, totally awesome to have my friends over for pool parties and even just for hanging out."

Salynne smiled at Eliza. "I'm sure that we can see about the pool-no promises mind you, but I'll find a real estate agent tomorrow and we'll see what we can find in our price range. This whole moving thing; it's exciting and terrifying all at the same time isn't it?"

"Totally", admitted Eliza. David nodded.

"It's like we've been standing in front of a door and waiting. Now, we're reaching out to turn the knob and open the door onto our new lives in Kamloops. I guess the next step, before we actually open the door and step through, is to tie up any loose ends and start packing."

"Well, I don't know about you mom, but the first thing I have to do is tell my friends here that we're moving. You should probably tell yours too."

Salynne let out a sigh. "You're right. I'm not sure how I'll do it though. I guess I could phone everyone individually or email; then again maybe I should write a story in my blog...

Salynne ©2009

1 comment:

  1. Sigh...mixed emotions for me as well..:) and :( all at the same time! It just won't be the same...

    ReplyDelete