Thursday, October 29, 2009

Going to New York

Tomorrow is the day I'm heading to the Big Apple, not for just one day like our fellows below, but for an entire week!


As I have a one day medical conference to attend we decided that it would be a family affair--me, my daughter, my son & his wife and my best friend. We've found a lovely four bedroom apartment that is four blocks from Central Park at a cost cheaper than any Manhatten hotel! If you've never heard of VRBO (Vacations Rentals by Owner) be sure to check it out--you can even find a place within your own home town for a weekend getaway!

Some of the highlights that I'm really looking forward to will be visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA), as well as skating under the stars at Rockefeller Center. I've been pouring over the Met's website and planning the absolute "must sees" like some of VanGogh's paintings and the Cloistures which is a compilation of several monestaries. The medieval architecture itself is fascinating but I have more interest in the herbarium and medicines of the time. It's my love of Brother Cadfael mysteries and my own interest in the natural healing properties of plants that is to blame for my interest. I think pretty much everything in the Met will be fascinating including their famous gift shop!

A trip up to the top of the Empire State building should prove a test of my resolve since I'm not a fan of heights but I refuse to let anything get the better of me. I've been to the Eiffel tower and even ventured out to the edge railing for a few moments so like King Kong himself, I will let nothing stop me from reaching the top!

Shopping is not a big thing on my list; I'm a "go to the store only when I need to and get in and get out quickly" kind of gal. There are however, a few retail establishments that once you get me into you'll never get me out of. We're planning breakfast at Tiffany's and since this will be my second trip to the famous blue box store I have no doubt we'll be there for several hours or more. When we were there a year and a half ago the staff treated us like we were their most important clients and that is something I will never forget. My dear hubby asked one of the sales women if she could show him a huge aquamarine tiffany's box brooch with a 90 diamond ribbon around it. The security guards came to stand on either side of her as she put on her white gloves and then she spent at least 20 minutes with DH, explaining the quality of the brooch, and treating him as if he was a customer who could afford the $100,000 price tag. I was mortified but the saleswoman made us comfortable. As my hubby said, "with treatment like that the next time I have $100,000 to spend on jewelry I'll be heading to Tiffany's." Saturday morning we'll be up early to go to a local farmers market to pick up the freshest of produce and since baby turnips, carrots and broccoli are in season I'm sure I'll be able to find something interesting to cook. It is a tradition that when I'm on holidays I choose one day to indulge in my love of gourmet cooking, sampling the local produce and the best the seasons harvest has to offer. I cannot wait!


Last but not least will be the time we get to spend in Central Park. The weather is supposed to be gorgous and the trees have all turned colour. I'm looking forward to just wandering....slow and contemplative......listening to nature and stopping for a time to listen to the musicians who will set up on the side of the mall or at one of the fountains. I'll be sure to take photos and will definitely write about whatever inspires me.

Salynne©209

1 comment: