Monday, October 19, 2009

Virtual Books-The Rare and Unusual

I have written about this topic before briefly but I want to encourage you to check out one of the most amazing opportunities you will have when it comes to rare and unusual books. Several times in museums I have experienced the frustration of looking at an exquisite book through glass and wishing that I could turn the pages-now it is possible.

The British Library has created a program called "Turning the Pages" which is a software that allows you to leaf through incredibly rare and fragile documents and even magnify details. It may be difficult to understand until you try it but it is exactly like opening a book and turning the pages.

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/virtualbooks/viewall/index.html#

Their list of current books is not large but growing every day so there should have something you'll enjoy:
A Landmark in Medical History-16th century treatise
Alice's Adventures Underground-written and illustrated by Lewis Carroll

Baybar's Magnificent Qua'ran-Arabic calligraphy
Bible from Ethiopia-commissioned around 1700
Blakes Notebook-sketches and poems
Classic of Botanical Illustration-remarkable herbal
Codex Sinaiticus-selections from a 1,600 year old bible
Dutch Baroque Gardens
First Atlas of Europe-1570's
Flemish Masters in Miniature
Glimpses of Medieval Life-Luttrel Psalter
Glorious Hebrew Prayer Book
Henry the VIII's Psalter-1540 with Henry's own notes
James Gilray Satirical Prints
Jane Austen's early work-The history of England in her own hand
Leonardo's Codex Arundel
Leonardo da Vinci Selection-a selection of his sketches
Lisbon Hebrew Bible-survivor of 15th century Jewish culture
Masterpiece of the Renaissance-Sforza Hours
Mozart's Musical Diary-the composers own notes
Outstanding 15th Century Church Book
Pinnacle of Anglo-Saxon Art
Ramayana-India's great epic in 17th century paintings

I don't know which I could say is my all-time favorite but I have been returning every day for at least the past week to take glimpses into these treasures. Seeing Lewis Carroll's handwritten and detailed illustrated book highlights the great love & care he put it into it and it inspires me to write my own stories; the brilliant colours in Dutch Baroque Gardens make me want to start planning my garden for next spring; when I see Jane Austen's work in her own hand I can vividly imagine her sitting at her little writing table; and for me as a Christian, seeing one of the oldest bibles in the world is positively faith-strengthening.

For centuries access to these publications has been imited and now we have the opportunity to enjoy them to full so I wonder what amazing stories or inspiration are possible.

When you have a few moments please be sure to check them out!

Salynne ©2009

No comments:

Post a Comment