Saturday, February 13, 2010

Writer in Residence

On Thursday I called in sick. I was really not feeling well but I was not the "can only lay on the couch, eating soup" kind of sick so I decided to grab my journals and head over to my favorite Starbucks.

It was really full and I ended up sitting in a crowded area with a number of the other "regulars". I've chatted with a few of them before but never anything more than comments on the weather or the meaningless chit chat that you do with people you don't know. Besides, I'm usually too busy writing for much in depth conversation anyway.

As I sat down one of the older fellows said to me, "So how's the book coming?" His question caught me off guard because I've never told anyone what I'm doing. Then again I guess it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that if a person shows up at a place continually and sits head down scribbling in a book that they are a writer.

I replied that it was "going...not always as fast as I want." and then we went on to discuss the Olympics. Later, when I again immersed myself in my paper tablet and turned back to my own thoughts a smile kept breaking through the concentration on my face. It's true that I've always viewed myself as the resident writer of my local Starbucks but now I've had confirmation that my coffee shop peers think the same of me. It was a really, really good feeling.

©2010 Salynne

2 comments:

  1. That fella will be pleased that he once knew that author that he met at the local Starbucks when your next book is published :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Thank you! I am really looking forward to that one day!

    ReplyDelete