Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Discipline of Writing

I admire anyone who has the discipline to write every day. It was my hope that through this blog I would make that commitment and follow through. As you all well know that hasn't happened. During the past month I've done a lot of re-thinking about the expectations I hold for myself and the reality of my life.

Part of my "problem" is that I have so many projects on the go that I feel pulled in all directions, this blog being one of them. Last week the leader of our writing group sent us all a blank Goals and Inventory Sheet and I filled it out almost immediately. Having had a week to think more about it I've revised it slightly. My motivational guru, Brian Tracy, says that written goals with a deadline have more likelihood of being achieved and since I am a person who responded clearly to such in the past I thought it worthwhile to post them for everyone to see. Public accountability will no doubt spur me on to achieve what I set out to.

What are your goals as a writer?
Short Term Goals (3-6 months) Deadline-April 31, 2010
1. Submit two articles for publication (paid or unpaid).
2. Write my blog consistently-whether its every day, every second day, every third day.....(decision pending).

Long Term Goals (6 months – 1 year) January 31, 2010
1. Flesh out my BCCH Mystery novel (that's right I'm writing a mystery novel).
2. Start typing the manuscript for my BCCH Mystery novel.
3. Work on and flesh out my Mom’s book (uncertain...I've determined that I've suffered several anxiety attacks while working on this and so it may have to go on the back burner for a while however I will keep it on the list).
4. Start typing out the manuscript for the huge group of commentaries that I've written called The Writing Group Chronicles (this covers my journey since joining the BC Children's Hospital Writing Group; I'm actually surprised at how much material I have-it will be interesting to check the word count once it is in manuscript form).


Writing Inventory
What kinds of writing do you do on a regular basis? (course papers, lab reports, correspondence, e-mail, research papers, fiction, poetry, plays, etc.)
Short Stories; fiction; novels; At work I write tons of emails and correspondence.

What is your favorite kind of writing? Why?
Fiction. I love that I get to step into other peoples lives for a few minutes. I get to figure out what makes others tick and learn what makes me the same or different from them.

Describe yourself as a writer using 10 adjectives.
Sporadic, enthusiastic, insecure, raw, positive, emotional, solitary, creative, willing, inspired.

What is your biggest challenge as a writer? What kinds of critiques have you received from the professors, friends, and other readers?
My biggest challenge is finishing something. Negative critiques are that I’m too wordy and tend to be superfluous. Positive critiques come from seeing people moved by what I’ve written, whether they're reading it or as I’m reading it.

What is your greatest strength as a writer? What do other people normally praise about your writing style?
That I’m honest and open about things people might not normally talk about. I mean really, who else has written a blog about the Little Known Stress of Getting a Pedicure or The Zen of Doing Laundry ?!

If you could change one thing about your writing or your writing process, what would it be?
That I could be a more consistent writer. I would write every day and accomplish something on one of my current projects every day until each one is done.

Although today is February 2 I think that on the first of each Month I'm going to schedule a blog that will detail what I have done to accomplished on my goals. If I do that at least I'll have one blog for the month done!

Salynne ©2009

No comments:

Post a Comment