Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Zen of Doing Laundry

As you know we've been in the throes of home renovations-in particular our laundry area. My washer and dryer have been unhooked for periods over two weeks so if was off to the Ticky-Poo Laundromat yesterday. The only experience I've had with these types of establishments was going with a friend of mine in my early twenties and sitting there bored.

Laundry has never been one of my favorite activities. Years ago when our older daughter was alive and she needed 24 hour care my husband and I made a deal that he would do the laundry and household duties and I would care for her. Laundry was not a domestic chore that I enjoyed and we have continued with that arrangement to this day. If I do a load of laundry it is something that I fit into my already busy day; its a case of throw in a load or fold a load and then run back to whatever life activity I'm involved in. However, going to the laundromat yesterday was a very important learning experience which gave me a new perspective on this rather domestic chore.

My daughter and I prepared ourselves by bringing our laptop and a rented movie; I thought that we should make the best of what I expected to be a very tedious experience. We even stopped at the store ahead of time for some snacks and bottles of water. Surprisingly, over the next two hours we didn't have time for the movie or the snacks as we were kept busy filling washing machines and dryers with the 20 loads of laundry that we'd brought with us. The constant hum of the washing machines and dryers going made it difficult to talk unless you yelled so neither my daughter or I said much; and that is when the "zen" happened.

We were each alone with our own thoughts and I found there was something extremely soothing and restful as I picked up each piece of warm, fresh smelling laundry. Being "alone" in my own world, touching our softened clothes, smoothing out wrinkles and folding things neatly became a quiet almost meditative process. By the time we finished and we were leaving the laundromat I felt like I had just come from the spa where I'd indulged in several hours of pampering soul-enriching solitude.

It was suprising but makes sense. Our lives are constantly busy and we are constantly on the run. Going to the Laundromat forced both my mind and body to settle because I was in one place and focused only on the repetitive movements and actions of loading the machines and folding laundry. Now that I've had the experience I've talked with several friends and they too have experienced the "zen" of doing domestic duties. One loves ironing and another loves cleaning bathroom tiles with a toothbrush; both say that it brings a sense of quietness into their day, it brings order into chaos and part of the good feeling is that you are doing something for your family that is nurturing.

Regardless of why it feels good I know I'm going to look a whole lot differently at that next pile of laundry that needs to be folded and just for my sanity I may even decide to schedule a monthly trip to my local laundrette or washateria. It's not quite as therapeutic as a spa manicure or pedicure but it certainly was cheaper, I had clean clothes, fresh towels and a happy family!


Salynne ©2009

2 comments:

  1. I especially love HANGING laundry on the line outside - something about being in the sunshine hanging up sheets, towels and whatever else I can hang out there, and then having nice fresh-smelling laundry at the end of it all is sooooooo satisfying.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a whole lot of laundry..glad you found it to be "therapautic"...:)

    ReplyDelete