Friday, August 28, 2009

Writing Environments

I attended my writers group at work on Wednesday and was inspired. It was one of those occasions when I wish my little digital recorder was working because I had to stop several times on the way home to write down the flurry of thoughts that were making their way into my consciousness.

Once I returned home however that inspiration fled. As I stood surveying my dusty kingdom from the front entrance my heart sank. The fine layer of drywall dust that is still settling over everything grated on not only the soles of my bare feet but on my nerves and the writing muse in my head & heart tucked herself away. Putting my shoes back on and walking into the kitchen I turned to look back at the footprints I left on the dark hardwood floor. It is unbelievable how much dust can settle in just a few hours even when you keep damp mopping and cleaning several times a day.

My feet itched to be free from their prison but I knew that taking my shoes off would only result in pure frustration and disgust. It was then that I began to realize the very strong connection between my environment and my ability to focus and write. Particularly in the last two weeks my home has been in chaos and covered in powder and I have not wanted to write or sit at the computer in my office. I've been writing with pen and ink and in various spots but not at home and not on my "no matter how many times I wipe" dusty home computer & desk.

Having a clutter-free work space and environment has become more important to me than I realized. Over the past years some of my favorite TV shows have been those on a decluttering & home organization such as Neat, Mission: Organization, & Clean Sweep. The show Hoarders is available to watch on line and there is nothing more inspirational or able to get me off my butt to clean house than the terror that one day I'll end up like one of those out of control people profiled. Now I realize that I also have to have some semblance of order and a clean house in order to sit down and have the mental space to write.
There's lots of advice out there on creating the perfect writing mecca but I haven't really paid attention to it. Jane Austen sat at a small table by a window in her room, Rudyard Kipling had a whole room of books and a writing desk. It's not that I think I need to read decorating articles or tips; the most important thing is paying attention to what makes me feel like writing which would also include the habits and rituals that we do that put us in the right mind space to be creative. What I know so far:
  • Solitude; although being around activity so that I can people watch is very important therefore sitting at Starbucks is a prime spot.
  • Being with the members of our writing group; although I find much more inspiration in the meeting room we've used that has windows and a tree view instead of another enclosed dead air enclave with a ceiling fan that threatens to separate from its moorings and decapitate all of us.
  • Sitting at home on my couch with clean hardwood floors and a quiet relatively dust-free house.
  • Sitting at the beach or the banks of the river alone.
  • Driving in the car listening to Jazz or Classical music.

Most of the time it appears that being alone is the key or at least alone with my thoughts. What else inspires me needs to be part of my self exploration in the next couple of weeks & months.


Salynne ©2009

3 comments:

  1. I can relate - I have realized that I can't scrapbook if my room is too cluttered....had to completely rearrange so I could think again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know I'm not alone. Creativity in our head seems to need physical space!

    ReplyDelete