Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Getting Ready for School

I cannot quite believe that it's that time again; school supplies are everywhere and it seems that every second commercial on TV shows happy parents and downhearted kids realizing their summer is over. I'm afraid I'm not one of those parents who wants the summer to be over and I'm not looking forward to sharing my daughter with her classmates and teachers.


However, there is one aspect of her returning to school that I am looking forward to and I can guarantee my daughter is totally dreading. After having to create a last minute note out of a folded 8 1/2 x 11 piece of computer paper when she was in Grade 6 I realized that I could create note cards that were interesting and unique while at the same time satisfying my creative urges.

At first I would print out some clip art for the cover that matched whatever topic was inside the note but then I moved on to drawing an interesting design myself. Much to my daughter's chagrin and embarrassment she's had to take notes with pictures of everything from a sporty little car to let the teacher know she'd be away on a road trip, a bottle of medication & thermometer to a design which featured a melting snow man. I tell her not to worry so much, it's a parent's job to embarrass their children at least once a day.

Despite my daughters lack of enthusiasm for this particular creative outlet of mine her teachers indicate that they enjoy the cards and even sit them on their desks from time to time. At least there is no doubt who they come from and they are not easily copied should my darling decide she wants to forge one.


One teacher though provided me with a challenge a couple of years ago. He said that my cards were almost as interesting as another parent who had written notes in haiku or some form of poetry. It was comforting to know I was not the only crazy parent out there but I knew I had to rise to the challenge of providing not only a good looking card but a poetical one too. When my daughter could not attend a skating field trip the following week this is what I wrote:

Keeley has told me you enjoyed my cards
Saying mine were second best to those of a haiku bard
For years that type of poetry I have not done
But I love a challenge and so this poem I have spun

I decided that for this one rainy day
With poetry this message I will convey
It’s a message that is true and clear
That Keeley will at noon break just disappear

She will not join you on the skating trip
I’ll pick her up and so she will have to skip
Whatever fun you and the class will find
On this great excursion of your design.

There is a tale that you should know
Our family went skating just three weeks ago
Down I fell, I was the first
Keeley followed but her fall was the worst.

Her tailbone and leg she did make very sore
And the doctor just had to explore
The possibility that her bones she did break
And that was the cause for all of her ache

It turned out Keeley was feeling this bad pain
From a bruise and a slightly more serious sprain
She has mended over time it is true
But oh so much, she has been through

Although skating is a really fun and neat sport
We'vedecided that we just don’t want to court
A repeat of her fall on the ice those weeks ago
And the pain that event most certainly did bestow

So there you have it, my tale is done
My goal today was for both of us to have fun.
I may not be Shakespeare, Shelley or Wilde (how ironic I chose Wilde as a pen name!)
But I hope I have reached my goal—your smile!

It was very silly and my daughter nearly died when he read it out to the class. Still as she told me the story I detected a small amount of pride that her crazy mother was recognized. I'm not planning on too many more poetry notes this year for which I'm sure she will thank me but I have decided that I will definitely continue with my signature drawing and designs.

Poetry has never been my forte although when going through some of my old work I find bits and pieces that at least get the point across and since starting this blog I have enjoyed dabbling in haiku. When I do decide to write a poem that rhymes I have found a couple of websites handy:

Rhymezone allows you to put in any word & it will come up with everything from rhymes, to words that sound similar, synonyms, antonyms and much more.
http://www.rhymezone.com/

WriteExpress-Unblocking Writers Block
http://www.rhymer.com/

Lulu Poetry also has a rhyming dictionary and is a great resource.
http://www.poetry.com/

So it's appropriate to end this blog
while I'm still in something of a poetical fog
A great poet I realize I will never make
But I hope you've been entertained enough to stay awake

Until the next time I type out my words
My wish is that you may continue undeterred
in your very own creative quests
to write poetry, prose or whatever is your best.

Salynne ©2009

3 comments:

  1. Oh so how creative of you but yet embarassing for K...:) even more so when she changes schools..

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is an additional rhyming dictionary that you didn't mention. The one at http://stevehanov.ca/rhyme uses artificial intelligence to find rhymes the others can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip Steve! I checked out the site and it certainly looks great. I don't think I've ever found one that could rhyme something like "supercalifragilistic". Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete