Sunday, April 18, 2010

An Eye Opening Email

"Have I got a TV show for you!" That was the opening line to an email sent by a friend recently. It was also an eye opener into an aspect of my life that I hadn't really considered before. My friend said that she loves all things British and suspected that we had "a similar leaning too......*wink." A "Love of all things British", whatever could've given her that idea? And was it true?

I took a quick survey of my bookshelves which tended to reveal a love of British authors like Jane Austen, Ellis Peters, PJ Wodehouse, & Agatha Christie. It was also interesting to see that my love seems to extend from historical times; Cadfael in the 1300's, Anne Elliot's early nineteenth century, Amelia Peabody in the enlightened Victorian age, Poirot's mystery cases in the 1920's & 1930's, on to Juliet Ashton's letters written just after the second world war and ending finally with the cases of Inspector Morse, Lynley and Barnaby of the 1980's, 90's and present day.

My DVD cupboard tells the same story with theatrical renditions of my favorite books: Cadfael, Jeeves & Wooster, House of Elliot, Poirot, and Midsomer Murders. On a side note-although I so obviously love England & the countryside I really would not want to live in the (fictional) county of Midsomer-its not a safe place, just too many murders!

Next I wandered over to my tea cupboard and there were no big surprises there either; Twinings Earl Grey, Harrods loose leaf Rose Petal Tea, and Whittard of Chelsea Chocolate Chai. Tea is generally the drink of choice next to water in this household, we hold after school tea time sacred and frequent the very English, Secret Garden Tea Company at least once a month.

(The Jane Austen Tea we held last summer)
Then in one of those AH HA moments, it occurred to me that, next to Victoria, I live in one of THE most British cities in all of Canada. New Westminster, "The Royal City" is oldest city in Western Canada, established of course by the very English Royal City Engineers and personally named by Queen Victoria herself. I live on and walk through my neighbourhood on streets that are all named in honor of English towns and areas. The biggest celebration of the year, held since 1870 is Queen Victoria's birthday combined with May Day celebrations. The primary schools here spend several months and a final two weeks in preparing their children to dance around the Maypole; which I certainly do not think is a good way to spend their time especially when you consider Beltane & Walpurgis Night, the original celebrations it's based on & the May pole dance which was enacted generally to ensure fertility for humans, animals and crops. However, as the city's website states "Our community isn’t just another suburb of a larger city – New Westminster’s heritage, traditions and character sets us apart with a unique identity." I have to admit that the "small town" feel is one of the reasons why we moved back here. I've often bragged that it is one of the only areas in the lower mainland that is considered a small town in the a big city wherein the front page of the local newspaper will feature the fiftieth anniversary of well-known couple who've more than likely lived their entire life here.

Last but not least I looked at my own signature. My married name "Greig" comes from the Scottish McGregor Clan; my husband's mother was a "Little", definitely an English/Scottish name and to cement the fact, her family participates in the yearly provincial Scottish games. We even blessed both our daughter's with Irish Gaelic names- Keeley and Brenna Colleen! So, despite the fact that I have an extreme love affair with France, as also evidenced by my bookshelves, DVD's, decor and food in my cupboard & fridge, I'm surrounded by all things British.

So in the spirit of recognizing this new found truth I want to share with you what my friend shared with me: The BCC television shows called "The Supersizers Go......" and "The Supersizers eat....". As I have learned on doing research, the shows are based on the concept of the documentary "Supersize Me" wherein the filmmaker documents his 30 days of eating only McDonalds. In the TV shows, British restaurant critic, Giles Coran and broadcaster & comedian Sue Perkins "eat" and enjoy a typical lifestyle thru various ages of British history. Before each week of eating and living for whichever time period has been chosen they visit a doctor and return later to find out the effects the diet had on their bodies.

Via Youtube I have already watched all of the "parts" of the Supersizers go Victorian and the food channel featured The Supersizers Go Restoration last Saturday morning. I'm already a confirmed fan and have set up my PVR to record other episodes on the Food Channel. Besides getting a glimpse into British history it's completely entertaining to see this modern day couples reaction to some of the horrendous foods and items that were eaten and the sometimes ridiculous lifestyles that were consider de rigueur during those days. Be sure to check them out!

Salynne ©2010

No comments:

Post a Comment