Friday, April 1, 2011

A Reminder to Keep a Promise

Yesterday I got a reminder from a good friend at work--she knows some of the big projects I've been working on and since she's the leader of our Closet Writers Group at work she asked, "So when have you been writing?"

"I haven't," was my answer.

"That's bad. You know it's bad for YOU."

Those words echoed in my mind all evening as I sat on the computer catching up on some work, and then later while I took a bath and read a magazine. She was right and I knew it. In March I was sick with bronchitis again, as sure sign of burn-out and overload. What did I do with my time? Write? Journal? Blog? No. I did write but not for me.

My work has been claiming a great deal of my time--I've been working on two huge projects that have been extremely satisfying. I've also been very busy with the spiritual aspect of my life and my family and that has really been what has sustained me and given me the inner satisfaction that writing also does. The set up of three other websites and the maintenance of one for a friend in exchange for his woodworking services has also meant more face time on the computer. Add in the day to day and there has not been a lot of time for writing.

Late at night and when I suffer from insomnia I've been working on the website for the Federation of BC Writers--this has been a very satisfying volunteer project but it is funny that I'm doing this all for a writing organization and the work is taking up so much time that I'm not writing. Sounds like its a pretty common issue among board volunteers for the organization too. The Federation of BC Writers Magazine, WordWorks, Fall/Winter 2010 has two articles by moi. The first one was titled Fed re-launches web site at http://www.bcwriters.ca/ . Take a look at the site--I think its beautiful and it looks fabulous compared to the old site.

The second article was entitled "Even Digital Immigrants Can Set Up a Blog" and contained a step-by-step tutorial on how to set up a blog on wordpress.com. If you'd like to see the results you can check out http://www.fedtest.wordpress.com/ . I used a fictitious author to got through the process and actually set up a blog.

Having my work edited was one of the things I enjoyed the most--I think a lot of writers find this difficult or challenging but I thought it tweaked some of those small things about my writing and I could instantly see that it made my writing better.

One of the creative things I did do was a piece of art to accompany the new website launch article. I entitled it Renewal and Growth--its a mixed media piece of art using pen & ink and computer generated images to represent the two sides of the Federation. The tree coming from the Federation Logo is very obviously representative of the growth and renewal that has been happening not only within the organization but because of the changes in the website.


The majority of the big moves and changes on the new Federation website were completed last weekend and as of this afternoon I'm starting to turn over portions of the upkeep to other volunteers. My work has also finally slowed into some kind of rhythm and last week after having four weeks off due to the bronchitis I did some readjusting of my schedule and re-committed to working from home at least one day a week.

And then my friend reminded me about writing. Earlier this morning I got out some of my journals and the three books that I was working on. Nothing was grabbing me and then I thought about Wilde Tide--a place in my imagination, the coastline wherein stories, ideas, and thoughts amass like driftwood on the shore. A blog that is a PROMISE to myself to bring more creativity into my life.....

Thanks M for reminding me.

Salynne

2 comments:

  1. Aaaahhh...Welcome back! You have been extremely busy I see. Sorry that you got bronchitis again. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw your post come thru on the RSS I thought, "Oh, good, she's been writing" - and LOL'd when I saw the first line. Glad to have been part of luring you back to the keyboard -- to that absolutely terrific metaphor of yours -- to the shore.
    That one will be resonating with me for a long long time - as I go to (for instance) "write off" some little thing I've written ... instead, now, I'll see it all as pieces of driftwood on my writer's coastline and therefore things that might have potential (or are perhaps firewood).
    Write on, chere amie! :-)

    ReplyDelete