Monday, April 11, 2011

Taking a Look Back

Yesterday I decided to go back and look at some of my posts.  There were so many things I forgot about; small, mundane, everyday things that I commented on in my blog--what treasures they are.  I keep a journal but somehow this blog goes into more detail about specific situations and topics plus there is the added dimension related to the satisfaction I get from creative writing.

Looking back shows me that last year, 2010, was more than an interesting year; if I had to classify it or give it a theme I would call it the "year of ups & downs".  Between May and early July we kicked up our heels at two weddings, hosted a 50th wedding anniversary and attended four funerals.  We cancelled our holidays in mid July when it became clear that another friend was losing her battle against breast cancer; it was a privilege to help both her and her husband during her final days.  The following week after her death and before her memorial I wrote her obituary, her memorial program (got a job offer to do memorial programs from the printer) and compiled a book of memories for her parents and her husband.  In November, I revisited the memory book and added a number of my personal thoughts and some of the more difficult conversations that we had.  It was cathartic for me, a way to grieve and let go.


A lot of the last part of 2010 and early 2011 was taken up with the projects at my work like starting to help design a new hospital as well as my involvement with the Federation of BC Writers and the creation of their website.  There are a couple of things I probably should have blogged about.  There was the time I spent over the winter holidays going through the last of the boxes we had packed in preparation for moving to Kamloops.  I don't think I kept more than one item out of each box since I reasoned that if I hadn't missed the items for a year I'd be safe getting rid of them.  Doing that felt like a huge weight off my shoulders and it brought with it a sense of closure.  Then another day Bruce got out his nails & hammer and we went around the house putting up every single piece of artwork that had been hanging around.  Since there was so much found room we redecorated our boudoir in a Paris theme even buying a new ironing board cover in a black & white damask.  It's the little things in life that bring satisfaction!

At that same time we also hired a housekeeper.  We had never really "fully" cleaned the house since renovations were completed last spring/fall.  We found our little Filipino whirlwind through a friend; she came in for two six hour days and did a "winter cleaning" so that she would get the house off to a good start and be able to maintain it easier.  There is absolutely nothing better than coming home to a clean house once every two weeks--we all concur that she is one of the best presents we've ever given ourselves!

Hubby and I also made a new friend in the early months of this year.  HCG.  Human Chorionic Gondatropin.  Nonplussed and puzzled?  We were at first but we found out it's a hormone that is produced during pregnancy and is now being used for weight loss.  I have not owned a scale for almost 20 years and during that time refused to even consider anything that came close to the word "diet".  However, we saw a number of our friends try it and have success by keeping off the weight.  Bruce was the first guinea pig and lost 28 lbs in 21 days.  It was my turn next and I lost 25lbs in 30 days.  And.... I lost it in all the places that I wanted to lose it, just like they said I would.  Going down two dress sizes so quickly has been a little disconcerting and it meant that I had to buy new clothes.  It's probably not a painful thing for most women but I'm no shopper.  I'm still having body size clothes "confusion"--when I went to the store to buy clothes everything I picked out was way to big--it felt good in the change room but a little frustrating too.  Maintaining my new weight has not been a problem and later this month I'm looking forward to starting my second session and losing more weight.

Helping to plan dahling daughter's graduation has also been on the agenda these past few months. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  She is organized, has her dress already, and we've worked out the details of the venue and decor.  Getting on with her "adult" life means moving forward with her step by step plans in learning to cook better by trying out new recipes, using transit, going downtown with friends and doing "adult" things like making reservations and planning events.  I've started reading articles on "empty nesting" and how I need to focus on being proud of her and proud of us as parents for raising such an independent, capable person, instead of the despair and loneliness that an empty bedroom brings....choke, hack, sigh....

So, I think that encapsulates the highlights of what has happened during the past months when I haven't been blogging.  An important step, this looking back but now it's clearly time to move forward.

Salynne
©2011

1 comment:

  1. Way to Go on the weight loss! Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete