Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bad Timing - Hot Chocolate, Memories and a Diet

Bad Timing.  It happens now and again. 

I started my HCG diet again. Beforehand I prepared myself mentally and have been looking forward to enjoying the bounty of spring vegetables.  For the past week things have been going well and I have been watching my weight on the scale go down each day.  I've enjoyed swiss chard, asparagus, grape tomatoes and even the celery is crisp and better tasting this time of year.  Peppermint or Apple Spice herbal teas have been my comfort treats.

And then this morning darling daughter said she'd found a new recipe and she begged me to make it.  I love cooking and don't even mind doing so for other people when I'm on HCG and its restricted diet but today's request was the ultimate test of will-power.  Now what sort of concoction should put me on the verge of throwing out weight loss, healthy eating and all self-restraint? 

Nutella Hot Chocolate
3 Tbs Nutella
1 1/3 Cup Milk

Put the Nutella and 1/3 cup milk into a small saucepan over low-medium heat.  Stir until Nutella is melted.  Add remaining milk and increase heat to medium and whisk until hot and frothy.

Keeley Greig Photography
Ever since our first trip to France, Nutella has been a staple in our home and diet.  I love chocolate and I love hazelnuts, it's a match made in culinary heaven as far as I'm concerned.  By the time the Nutella Hot Chocolate was done my mouth was salivating and I just had to have a taste.  It was oh, so creamy, and rich.  Memories of being a kid coming home after skating to find my Dad had made hot chocolate & Cheez Whiz on toast flashed before my eyes.  Then I was off to France and sitting in the cafe in Monet's garden sipping dark delicious cocoa.  And finally I saw myself sitting around the campfire with whipped cream and marshmallow topped hot chocolate in a blue & white speckled tin cup.

It's a bit of a rainy day and all I could think about was the comfort a good cup of hot chocolate brings.  I took one extra sip and handed it over.  Keeley tasted it and smiled dreamily.  Bad timing for me but I did find contentment in knowing that "the first time we had Nutella Hot Chocolate" made a very good memory for her.

Salynne ©2011

No comments:

Post a Comment