Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Favorite Films That Will Always Stick With You

The rules: Don’t take too long to think about it. Twenty films you’ve seen that will always stick with you. List the first twenty you can recall in no more than twenty minutes.  In some particular order:


1.A Year in Provence--The most watched movie in my library for when I cannot be in France.

2.French Kiss-the second most watched movie in my library.

3.Pride & Prejudice-all six hours; best with a cup of tea and a day off school with Keeley but my other favorite time watching was the six hour marathon with good friends!

4.Much Ado About Nothing--I'd always hated Shakespeare--that was probably related to the fact that when I was in Grade 8 we were doing Romeo and Juliette and the nurse came to the door and told me my Grandmother had died....but that is another story.  Much Ado About Nothing is how I fell in love with Shakespeare--"there's a double meaning in that".

5.The Man from Snowy River-I always wanted a cowboy to sweep me off my feet.

6.The Princess Bride-one of the few movies I remember quotes from! "My name is Enigo Montoya. You Killed my Father. Prepare to Die".

7.Dr. Doolittle--this was Brenna's favorite movie; we watched it pretty much every day from the time she was 18 months old until she died at 8; so maybe it is my most watched movie!  Sometimes I put it on in the middle of the night when I cannot sleep and it just makes me feel all happy inside.  I've been wanting a ride on that big Pink Sea Snail or the Lunar Moth since I was a little girl...

8.The Sound of Music-just one of my "favorite things" but only once a year or so.

9.Chitty Chitty Bang Bang-a memorable movie that's for sure.  I was so scared of this when I was a kid because of the child catcher that I wouldn’t let Keeley see it until she was 11 because I was worried she be traumatized.

10.Chocolat-what can I say...Johnny.....Chocolate......Johnny....

11.Tortilla Soup--one of my favorite food movies; food & family sitting around the dinner table, what more could you want in life.

12.The Philadephia Experiment-this was one of first sci-fi shows I ever saw...time travel...I was hooked.

13.Amelie-absolutely charming; I was so happy when Keeley was old enough to watch it with me.

14.Earthquake-another one of those that scared me to death--I think it's where my fear of bridges come from.

15.Seven Brides for Seven Brothers-this was another one that we played a lot when Brenna was alive only this was one of Keeley's favorites.  She'd put on her yellow dress and dance her heart out.  You also cannot deny this has the most majical winter scenes ever--fake but magical.

16.Beauty & the Beast-we went to the movie theatre and Brenna wore her big pink "beast" slippers.  Everyone gave her attention, she was sooo cute.  It's one of my favorite memories.

17.Bed of Roses-hmmm...pause...what can I say...a very thoughtful movie, mirrored my own life in many way.... and the garden, oh my goodness-sometimes I've watched just the garden scene to get me in the mood to get out in to my own garden.

18.Pirates of the Caribbean--Johnny....even with bad teeth; this is the ONLY movie I've dressed up for!  Keeley and I put on our pirate headbands & earrings and we went to the midnight showing.

19.Bread & Tulips--this is one of my favorite foreign films that I usually watch when I'm alone; its for those times I wish I could step off the world and slow things down.

20.Breakfast at Tiffany’s--the ultimate classic; the ultimate actress. 

Others that I just cannot leave off the list-besides I'm always an over-achiever and I'm affected a lot by movies:

1.Persuasion--I cannot leave this out; it's my all-time favorite Jane Austen book come to life; I've seen three versions and I love them all.

2.You've Got Mail-a good one for a rainy day--I want that bookshop!

3.Funny Face--I always wanted to be the girl in the black top, leggings & flats on the top of that ladder..again I think it has something to do with the books.

4.Innerspace--totally a hilariously funny movie; I nearly broke the seat in the theatre from laughing so hard the first time I saw it.

5.Peter Pan--my all time favorite story & the Disney version got even better when we went on the Peter Pan ride at DisneyLand because I was flying!

6.Mary Poppins-another Brenna favorite which I'm sure I've seen hundreds of times.  It's magical, just magical-who doesn't want to jump into a chalk picture & dance with penguins?

7.101 Dalmations-one more Brenna favorite that is burned into my brain. When I was a kid I love the  thought of two doggies getting married....and "all those little ones"-ok so maybe I can quote from three movies.

8.Pretty Woman--I still want that polka dot dress--ok...the 2011 version without the shoulder pads.

9.The Lion King--great movie but we ended up having to get rid of it because Keeley would go around biting people after she watched it--good thing she was only 3 at the time.  We still don't have it in our Library although its on our acquisition list...I'm a little worried.

10.Secondhand Lions--cannot help but think of my Grandfather and the farm in Saskatchewan.

11.A Beautiful Mind--this was riveting Russel Crowe-I was speechless and I think I held my breathe for most of the show.  It was one of those movies that I couldn't stop thinking about for days afer.
12.Walk the Line--I've always been fascinated with Johnny & Roseanne; true love and country music...the best!

13.Seducing Dr. Lewis--it sounds bad but its not what you think & its one of the sweetest "foreign" movies I've seen despite it not really being foreign but home grown French Canadian.

14.August Rush--a modern day fairytale; I love the feel of this movie and the music.  Not a great classic but I liked it enough to buy it and watch it once in a while.

15.Mostly Martha--my all time favorite German movie...mmm food--the American remake "No Reservations" was horrible.

16.Brigadoon--an all time family favorite and one we love to share with friends, especially when a certain friend happened to be dating someone Scottish-we arranged a special viewing.

17.The Village--Ok...so have you noticed a category missing from my list.  Suspense.  Suspense and I don't get along but this was so incredible.....I had to watch it and turn the channel every time I started to freak out but I was in love with the movie by the end.  I've watched it all the way through a couple of timesbut it's still freaky...ahhhhhh! what was that?
18.Footloose--totally an 80's icon movie.  I saw it at a drive-in movie in Cache Creek with Bruce after we were first married--our car was rockin cause we were hoppin in our seats to the music!

19.Marilyn Hotchkiss' Ballroom Dancing and Charm School--one of the more recent movies I've seen that left me pondering for days. Not only was the list of cast members stellar but I was touched by way they handled the topic of grief, bereavement and moving on.

20.Casablanca--I just saw it on the big screen a couple of months ago and was awestruck--I now know why women loved Humphrey Bogart!

There's a lot more that come to mind but it's been fun taking a virtual walk through my DVD cupboard and discovering the reasons why some movies will always stick with me.

Salynne

No comments:

Post a Comment