Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Five Reasons to Live in a Cabin Up North Alone

The thought of living in a cabin up north all alone is one of those fantasies that I reserve for one of THOSE days.  Not the kind where I just want the world to stop for a short while so I can catch my breathe or when I want run away to France to for a couple of weeks.  It's one of those "if another thing happens to add to my stress and busyness I'm going to quit the world and become a hermit" days. 

Thankfully days like that don't happen that often but when they do I have to say that I envy good ole Dick Proennke of Alone in the Wilderness fame. The documentary style chronicle of how at the age of 50 he decided to go into the wilderness of Alaska, build a log cabin and live all on his own is one of my favorite night time TV spots on PBS.  It's not hard to put myself back into the emotional foray of one of those days and the reasons why I want to run away: 
1.  Going north and being by myself would get me away from irritating people, cranky people and people demanding things of me, wanting things done yesterday.  Oh...to throw away my overloaded work schedule!

2.  I could get away from sick and dying children.  I do like and sometimes love my job but there are days when seeing little kids who should be healthy and happy and who aren't is just too much to take.  Instead I could look at the healing beauty of nature, green trees and blue sky.  And I could spend my time building a cabin, making door hinges or my very own wooden spoon--quiet but contemplative work.
.
3.  No traffic and no stupid rush hour....only peace, quiet and bird song...how I love to hear birds. 

4.  Going North means SNOW.  Tons and tons of snow. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers magical scenery.   Blissful, white flakes falling softly into a blanket instead of wet, slushy, half rain/half snow that soaks through everything.  And let's talk about sunshine...sunshine instead of rain which is another thing I could very easily get used to.


5.   A cabin.  What is better than a log cabin to live in?  With a log burning fireplace built of river rock.  No namby pamby gas burning or electric fake.  Real logs and a real fire to drink a glass of wine in front of (of course I'd take wine up North with  me!) and I could spend time just writing...writing to my hearts content.  No interruptions, no phone calls, just me and my journal.  The Dick Proennke website says it all: 
"To live in a pristine land unchanged by man...
to roam a wilderness through which few other humans have passed...
to choose an idyllic site, cut trees and build a log cabin...
to be a self-sufficient craftsman, making what is needed from materials available...
to be not at odds with the world, but content with one's own thoughts and company..."


Yes, lots of reasons to move up North alone.  Only problem is there would be no family dinners, no laughing at my sons jokes until my stomach hurts and tears run down my face, no TV to cuddle in front of and watch Pride & Prejudice with Keeley, no Bruce to share a glass of wine with, no morning kitty kisses, and no computer to connect with friends or blog on.  OK..so maybe moving up north all alone for good isn't realistic but just being able to think about it always makes me feel better and somehow the day turns out to be not that bad after all.

Salynne©2011

1 comment:

  1. Great way to escape the pressures of this world, I agree. I'm working with an ecolodge in B.C. where we have a similar premise. Come see our website:
    laidmanlakelodge.com
    Maybe we'll one day have the priviledge of making this dream come true for you, if only temporarily

    ReplyDelete