Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Characters-What's in a Name

One of the blogs I follow discussed in the past week how to choose the names of characters. One person commented that they keep a list of odd and unusual names which they then look at when developing a story. Another source suggested a baby name book and if it is a historical name they said census records were very helpful.

I have found that one of my greatest sources is Movie credits. The movie industry has a lot of very interesting people although I do believe some of the names are made up; still this is a rich resource for character names.

For years I've kept a mental list of those interesting names but about a year ago when I decided to keep a character journal I started to include names as well. If I'm having trouble fleshing out an individual in a story then the next best step for me is to choose a name because somehow they then become more “solid”, rounded out and alive.

Another benefit to putting the names down? I feel like I've been able to clear out the cobwebs in my mind and don't have to carry the information around all of the time, afraid that I'll forget something really spectacular. Some of the most interesting names in my journal:

First Names:
Thaddeus
Cyri
Shayni (Gaelic-I almost name one of my daughters this!)
Estin (I just met someone with this name about two months ago!)
Aika Tahu (Moari)
Edryd (Gaelic)
Thomas Astbury
Yolanda
Bevan (Gaelic)
Bailey Hampton
Miguel
Viviane (French)
Xavier
Marius Cornelli
Nekane (Basque)
Godfrey

Surnames:
Parisian
Leger de Fanass
Collinsword
Ballendin
Madelmar
Paxden Dafoe
De Payen
Wrottsley

Do you have any favorites or unusual names that you want to share?

Salynne ©2009

4 comments:

  1. Posting from an email on behalf of HH:

    Hey lady,

    Your blog wouldn’t let me post.
    Anyway, as far as unusual names, my mom’s name was Thekla. It’s Greek in origin, but she was of Scottish/English descent. Apparently her grand father named all the children and I think the family story goes he read a book with the name in it.

    I’ve only ever come across it once before in a newspaper article.

    Also, my mom had a childhood friend named Ina Love. The name just rolls off the tongue and it always fascinated me. in my mom’s recipe box (a treasure trove of hand written recipes on papers that are yellowed and falling apart) there’s a recipe for Ina Love’s Cookies. It always makes me smile!!

    Anyway, just felt like sharing. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-those names are awesome! A recipe for "Ina Love's Cookies" sounds like something that needs an entire story built around it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love naming characters, it's probably one of my favourite parts of the writing process.

    I happen to love the name Ignatius and was even more delighted to find it as the name of John Kennedy Toole's character in A Confederacy of Dunces. Elzda is another, which may or may not make a future novel I am contemplating adding. We shall see, I suppose! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding. I meant writing. Hmm, if only writing were as simple as 'adding'. Haha. XD

    ReplyDelete