Monday, June 1, 2009

Little Story Lost-In the Twilight Zone

As I stated in an earlier blog it was my intention to enter a writing competition. I wrote my Lost & Found piece on a scrap of paper while I was waiting in the car for a friend. It was brilliant in my eyes; I cried when I wrote it. Later that day I brought it into the house but with the chaos of the wedding it disappeared. I've spent days looking for it everywhere, even searching through the garbage and recycling. Nothing. It feels a little like the Twilight Zone episode "Little Girl Lost":

Missing: One really great story. Name: "My New Brother". Description: Words on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. Last seen: on the kitchen table. Last heard: aye, there's the rub as Hamlet put it. For "My New Brother" can be rememered quite clearly but cannot be recaptured accurately at all. Present location? Let's say for the moment--in the Twilight Zone.

This has been agony. The day before the competition ended I sat down and tried to re-create it but eventually gave up realizing it was a futile exercise. My story is now a moment lost in time. I wonder, was it my subconscious, my fear of entering that made me do something thoughtless with it? Or maybe I put it someplace "special" for safekeeping and sometime in the coming weeks I will find it tucked between papers or scrunched in the back of a drawer. More than likely however, there is a good probablity my "masterpiece" is sitting in a dump somewhere among rotting stinking garbage. I would prefer to think though that the paper is at least being recycled and something new will be created. Perhaps like the Twlight Zone episode where the Dad reached into the 4th deminsion to rescue his daughter, I too, will some day be able pull those thoughts and ideas back into this reality.

Salynne ©2009

No comments:

Post a Comment