Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The New York Narrative - Jane Austen & Other Celebrities

Our final day arrived and we spent the morning packing our suitcases and getting ready. Keeley had found out that a Jane Austen exhibition had opened at The Morgan Library on Madison Ave the previous day so we dragged all of our luggage to the subway & to the museum.

Just as we walked into the museum lobby, Richard Gere walked right in front of us. I did a double take and so did my son. "Was that...?" There was no doubt. And ladies, let me tell you, that grey hair is just as silky, shiny and "want to run your fingers through it" smooth as it appears in movies. Mr. Gere walked to the dining room and obviously had lunch there because he came out some time later while BFF, Keeley and I were in the exhibit. My son & DIL were sitting in the entranceway waiting for us and he stood there for some time and waited for his car to arrive. They said he was quiet, unassuming and looks & talks exactly like he does in movies. We certainly did wonder if we would see a celebrity on the trip to New York but I have to say that seeing someone like Richard Gere in such a place was completely unexpected. I have to admit that although I've always thought of him as a grey fox but my opinion of him has raised a notch or two; I mean really....nice hair and Jane Austen lover....what more could a woman ask for?

The exhibition itself included over 100 pieces of Jane's work including manuscripts, personal letters and related materials. Jane's letters to her sister Cassandra were very revealing about her personality, their lives and the social mores of society during that period of time. The dispatch to her neice was cleverly written backwards and challenging to read but it showed her humour and her relationship to her family. Rare editions of Jane's books as well as illustrations of various characters from her novels made for a well-rounded look at one of our favorite author's lives.
Playing in a walled off enclosure in one corner of the exhibition a short film about Jane featured various artists and actors. It was here in this small place that I had opportunity to pay close attention to the other women and one man who were there at the exhibition. In fact I had to sit through the film several times because I kept missing parts and getting distracted by the interesting personalities that came in and out of the viewing area. When it came to fashion my jeans and top were the only non-designer and un-pressed, not perfect, outfit in the room. I tried to tuck the ragged hem of my jeans under the stool I was on. At some point an older jewish woman with a 5 or 6 carat diamond ring on her finger and sporting a hand-carved cane sat down beside me. Several actors answered the question, "If you could have Jane Austen for dinner, who else from history would you invite?". The answers ranged from the pope to Freud. In a very cultured New York accent my neighbour turned to me and whispered, "My god, Jane would just be turning over in her grave if she heard such foolishness". Of course I gave her my most sophisticated head nod and agreed, after all one doesn't argure with a Madison Avenue queen bee brandishing a cane.

From there we visited the gift shop where we picked up a fabulous little book entitled "The Jane Austen Handbook--A Sensible yet Elegant Guide to her World". It discuss things such as How to Become an Accomplished Lady, How to Get Rid of Unwanted Guests and How to Behave at a Dinner Party among other very interesting topics. This is a read aloud book and Keeley and I have been having some good laughs as we go through it, although I'm not certain how the chapter on How to Marry off your Daughter is going to go over.


Spending time at the museum was one of those unexpected but very pleasureable events that somehow just seem to drop into your lap. I'm so glad we took the opportunity to attend even though it was not on our planned itinerary. Jane would have approved,

"Why not seize the pleasure at once, how often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparations"~Jane Austen.


Salynne ©2009

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so tres cool to see the all so sexy Richard Gere in person! I am definitely sorry I missed that. And it was all cuz you decided to go to the museum to see the Jane Austen exhibit..right on!

    ReplyDelete