Monday, November 16, 2009

The New York Narrative - Times Square

On Monday we traveled to Brooklyn in the morning and afternoon to visit friends and the headquarters of our spiritual heritage. Since our feet were so sore we then went back to the apartment in the late afternoon for several hours and just sat there with our feet up.

Several days earlier we arranged to have dinner that night at Carmine's, a very well-known Italian Restaurant in Times Square. One of our friends, who lives and works in Brooklyn joined us for dinner there and for a wonderful evening after. Carmine's dishes are served "family style" meaning each dish feeds between six to 10 people. From the menu we enjoyed chicken parmigiana, lasagna and salad. My glass of wine did not come in a stemmed glass but a normal drinking glass just like you would have somewhere in Tuscany or the Italian countryside; all of these things helped give the place "family" feeling. Black and white photos on the wall of the restaurant featured family members, celebrities and theatre moments. It was packed and fairly noisy but we had a great time.

The week prior to our arrival the city of New York made some changes to Times Square, which now makes it more pedestrian friendly. They've blocked off a number of streets and so we were free to wander all over the street and explore places like the Hershey's and M&M's stores and unfortunately we missed the giant Toys R Us with its in-store Ferris Wheel and other features because it was closing. The weather was so warm that after grabbing some take-out desert we gabbed for several hours while sitting at some of the new table & chair sit down areas.
We laughed and enjoyed our conversation along with taking delight in the very, very interesting night life. I think Keeley will always be scarred after her photo with a giant red TickleMe Elmo who squeezed her a little too tight and for a little too long. He asked in a creepy, suggestive voice, "Do you have something for Elmo?" She disengaged herself, begrudgingly gave him a tip and ran back to our group. Other Entertainment was provided by a caped Batman who ran through the crowds, John from John & Kate + 8 was being interviewed on some live TV show, a young woman singing for a CMT video came by with her camera entourage and a very, very large six foot plus, black male Marilyn Monroe, complete with a leopard print dress, high heels, full makeup and a blonde wig blew bless kisses to us and waved hello.

Times Square is an overwhelming feast for the senses; lights, color, and constant action. As I stood there in the centre of New York, in the middle at the huge screens and advertisements, I had the surreal feeling that before me was the representation of the pinnacle of human achievement. There were the financial markets, the commercial elements and ads with models in all of their full-color scantily clad glory, technology, culture and even religious components. In my minds eye I saw myself standing there alone in the middle of everything and I realized how small I was in comparison to the buildings, the city, the state, the country, the continent and finally the earth. My thoughts turned to how different my every-day is from what I saw before me. It made me thankful to have my life in my own little corner of the world with my Starbucks, my local grocery store, my favorite tea shop and my family and friends. I knew then that I was ready to go home.

Salynne ©2009

1 comment:

  1. At last...another blog to read! I sure enjoy reading your blogs...cool pictures in this blog. You sure captured the essence of NYC...even though I wasn't there, I can picture it in my minds eye by reading your description....Onto the next blog, hmmm..I wonder what awaits to be read in your next blog :)

    ReplyDelete