Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The New York Narrative - No More Regrets

Sunday was one of those days that will live long in my memory because it was one of those very rare days when everything works out just the way that you want it to. I had a very unique opportunity to correct something that I truly regretted. Our visit to Central Park on this day gave me a wonderful second chance.

There are not many things or passed up opportunities in my life that I bemoan; I'm the kind of person that usually goes with my instincts and jumps when my heart or my gut feeling tells me I should do something. One of my first real and long-lasting regrets happened around twenty years ago when we were visiting my hometown and my husband and I were in a local thrift shop. Sitting in one of the back rooms was a stunning antique oak Arts & Crafts Mission style chair with a leather back and seat. The price was a whole $5.00. The chair which had a unusual adjustable back reminded me of one that my Grandparents had when I was a child; I got that warm, fuzzy feeling when I looked at it. Unfortunately, after humming and hawing, I let my husband talk me out of it. The excuses were myriad; we didn't have enough room in the car to get it back home so it would have to be stored at my parents, the leather seat and back needed recovering and that would be a lot of work, money, etc, etc. Several months later I was looking in a decorating magazine and saw the almost exact same chair. It was made by Stickley, a name reknowned in Arts & Crafts design circles and also very, very expensive. That chair was something I will always regret not buying; not only because of the value but because I was not true to myself. I did not follow my heart and although I have other pieces of furniture that look like very much like that original piece they will never have the meaning that particular chair would have had.

It is that experience and that pivotal moment in time, when I should've listened to myself and didn't, that I think about whenever I have to face the decision of whether I should listen to the stirrings of my intuition or not. When my oldest daughter was alive and we knew that we would only have limited time with her, I learned even more about how important it is to live without regrets. Then several years ago when I quit my event planning business and opened an on-line antiques business I learned to trust my gut feelings even more. There were numerous items that I purchased whenever I got those certain vibes and those things usually turned out to make a very tidy profit for me. My husband was often a nay-sayer or couldn't understand at times why I bought a particular item but when he saw the dollars that someone was willing to pay for them it certainly brought a smile to his face. Over the years he has learned to trust me more, even when I cannot explain things rationally. Today, whenever I get that inclination to call someone, send a card or do something I always try to listen to it. It is one of the reasons why I am fortunate not to have too many other things to lament about.

One of my few lasting acts of contrition happened in the spring of 2007 when my family and I visited New York for the first time. We spent an afternoon in Central Park and when strolling the Mall on that occasion, we came across a group of four gentlemen playing blues and jazz. The music truly moved me and it was all I could do to stand there and not start dancing. The group consisted of bass, guitar and sax players and a trumpet player/singer who wore a page-boy cap. We had only a dollar or two in cash between us all and although I really, really wanted their CD, none of us had the energy to walk to the other side of the park, find an ATM and then make our way back. We felt that it wouldn't have been worth the time and effort because the group would probably finish their set and leave meaning we'd have gone the distance for nothing. I also did not have a pen in my purse so I couldn't even write down the name of the group and although we tried to commit it to memory none of us remembered it later.

Not going to the effort of getting money and getting their CD was something that I have thought about and regretted many times since then. I couldn't remember the music specifically but I could recall how this group's music made me feel inside. When we returned home I tried to find similar tunes but nothing seemed to capture the magic I heard that day in the park. I filed the event, or should I say the non-event, in the back of my mind. A hard lesson learned and a regretful weight to carry with me.

When I knew we would be travelling back to New York, the hope did awaken in my breast that I might by some chance be able to see the same group again. The probability was slim, I felt, because it was almost two years ago that the non-event happened. Then again hope springs eternal and I made sure I had a good sum of money with me wherever we went in the city. As my narrative has stated, we had already been in the park during parts of several days and although there were lone musical artists there was nary a group to be found.

We started our Sunday by walking through the Park. Again, it was a beautiful sunny, sweater weather day and the leaves crunched beneath our shoes as we wandered the paths. The view from Belevedere Castle presented stunning vistas of the city and since my son and DIL had not spent any time in this beautiful natural landmark yet the five of us started walking back down towards the Mall. Just before we got to the lake I heard the strains of a song that sounded like it was from the 1920's and I knew immediately that my previous regret was going to have a pretty good chance of redemption.

There was something of a crowd gathered on one side of the Mall and as I made my way to the front I knew that I had found the group I'd been searching for. There before me played The Tin Pan Blues Band and I felt like a kid in a candy store. I immediately started dancing to the happy music and soon I was joined by my daughter and then my son and DIL broke into a swing jive. In between songs, I ran up to grab both of Tin Pan's CD's, throwing my prepared cash into the guitar case they used for donations and tips. Quite a number of other people did the same.


We stayed, danced and enjoyed the music until the end of their set after which I went up and told one of the band members my story. He was very gracious and seemed delighted that we "Canadians" should be interested in their music and that their reputation had spread so far. I signed up to receive band email alerts; there is no doubt that we will at some point return to New York so I want to make sure that I keep up to date and know where these talented musicians will be playing.

Listening and dancing to Tin Pan's lighthearted, nostalgic music on this bright sunny day in the middle of Central Park is something I will always remember and now I have their CD's to take me back there any time I want. As far as that original non-event is concerned I got my second chance and I did not hesitate to jump in head first. With a great sense of satisfaction and glee I can, from my heart, say that now I have one less regret in my life!

Photos by Keeley

To check out The Tin Pan Blues Band and their music follow this link:
http://tinpanbluesband.com/wordpress/




Salynne ©2009

2 comments:

  1. To get a second chance and run into that same group must have been an exhilirating feeling...Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend emailedme and told me about a group called the Squirrel Nut Zippers--check out their youtube videos-just enter Squirrel Nut Zippers in the search box--a really great song is Put a Lid on It. And you're right HH, they do have a similar sound to the Tin Pan Blues band. I love it!

    ReplyDelete