Sunday, May 3, 2009

Pseudonym Smoodonym-The Name Game

Ok..so in case you haven't guessed-Salynne Wilde is not my real name. Gasp! Yes, like the caped crusader I have chosen not to reveal my true identity.

Pseudonym:
–noun
a fictitious name used by an author to conceal his or her identity; especially a pen name. Origin: 1840–50;

Synonyms: alias, nom de plume.

These are the reasons I examined when deciding whether or not I should use a pen name:

  • My real name is too common, strange, or hard to spell--Nope, not an issue for me.
  • Another author or someone else with the same name has a prominent personality on line or in the media--No problem with this either.
  • My name is not a match for the genre I write--Hmm, I don't think that is a real issue.
  • The wish to remain anonymous--Ah ha, that's a good one. I'm actually a pretty private person to anyone other than my close friends.
  • Having a pen name would allow me a female to write as a male-Interesting idea but certainly not planned.
  • I write in more than one genre-Point number two that strikes a cord.
  • My subject matter could be inflammatory or controversial--Nooo, not planned.
The idea of a nom de plume is something I've toyed with for some time. I belong to a writing group at my workplace and they all know who I am; I've written a number of things under my real name and even have a published book. For my blog, however, and for works that I wish to publish from this point on another name seems to meet my need for anonyminity and the ability to write in several genres if I so wish.

I thought choosing a new name would be the equivalent of choosing a baby name. It wasn't quite the same but there are similarities. The first thing I did was some homework. The online article listed below was helpful and a great place to start.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2156745_choose-pseudonym.html

Next it was on to trying out a name generator or two but all I could do was laugh at how ridiculous everything sounded. Especially on sites where you can choose a fantasy name or an evil dark elf, pirate or treebeing name. Who knew there was so much selection out there! You might want to give one the one listed here a chance:
http://www.behindthename.com/random/

In the end once I sat down to really think about the possibilities my choice happened quickly and easily. Salynne is a compilation of my real and middle name and Wilde is a variation on a family name. After checking my alias on the internet and being satisfied that it was fairly unique and there were no ax murderers lurking out there with the same name I made my decision firm in my mind. Salynne Wilde just felt right-somehow it embodies the part of me that is the writer and thats reflect the me that I want to share with the world.

1 comment:

  1. I too have chosen a pen name, mostly for privacy issues, but I also have a surname that most anglos will not be able to pronounce. Unlike you, the name just popped into my head one day. I mulled it over for a few weeks and decided it worked for me. I also have a vision in my mind of how it will look on a paperback one day ... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

    ReplyDelete